Thursday, August 2, 2012

Those massive calanques.


The other day we set out for another southern France adventure: les calanques. I'd never heard of them before, but apparently they're pretty famous. I'm assuming that most of you haven't heard of them either, as you probably don't research cool things about the south of France, so here you go.

According to Wikipedia, calanque definitions:
-the Corsican word meaning "inlet." 
-steep-walled inlet, cove, or bay that is developed in limestone, dolomite, or other carbonate strate found along the Mediterranean coast.
-a steep-sided valley formed with karstic regions either by fluvial erosion or the collapse of the roof of a cave that has been subsequently partially submerged by a rise in sea level.

Of course, the best known formations are found in the Massif des Calanques, on the coast between Marseille and Cassis. So we set out for Cassis and enjoyed a sunny day out on a boat, checking out those cool cliffs.
Cassis is a 4-flower town, just fyi.
This little guy is one of countless cigals (cicada in English) bugs that cause a whole heck of a lot of noise here. Finding a dead one on the side of the road made me happy that there is one less in the world. Kidding... they're not that annoying, just loud.
Bonjour, Cassis!
Out on the boat.
The lighthouse is made out of the rocks from the calanques. Do you know what else is made from those rocks? The base of the Statue of Liberty! Cool, huh?
Sorry for the picture overload... I took something like 200 plus. These are the winners (mixed in with a few from Jacqueline's camera). I just couldn't decide-- they were all so cool!
I just hated every person that sailed on past us on in their own private boat...
The water was, once again, perfectly clear and beautiful. 

And this my friends, is how to see the calanques 
au naturel! 
Seriously. We were just as shocked.
You can see people sitting up on that rock in the middle (actually a little island). You can see the calanques the easy way, as we did, by boat, or you can hike them. Hiking might be a bit more cool since you can then take a dip in the inlets and climb on the rocks. Maybe next time...
If I had to choose a favorite, I would say that this one in the picture behind me here is it. It's a bit LOTR-esque, right? I don't know. It was all beautiful.
The harbor wasn't too shabby either...
After a few hours of a bit too much sun, we were starving. Rick suggested a restaurant looking out over the harbor, and we were fairly satisfied with it. I got this delicious crepe. I do believe that it was the first time in my life I've ever eaten an sunny-side-up egg. Add that to the enormous list of things I've never tried because I always thought it was gross but I actually like quite a bit. 
Dis donc.
Don't know what we'd even be doing without Rick. My new bestie. Oh, and that red rock in the background is Europe's highest maritime cliff, Cap Canaille. It was sculpted by receding glaciers, if you can imagine (you can thank Rick for that fun little fact).
A cute building on the harbor:
Waiting at the train station. 
The train coming to take us home... to Toulon, that is.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow. Amazing. And I'm not really surprised...naked men and Europe seem to go perfectly together...