Friday, August 10, 2012

Reminder

Well, here I am, once again alone in a foreign country. Story of my life. Not really, but still. The roomie left this morning and I was shocked by how quickly loneliness set in, helped on, no doubt, by my serious lack of sleep.

Anyway, along with my thoughts of loneliness came all the other sad thoughts of my life, and I find myself a whole lot more contemplative than I was 5 years ago when I was wandering around alone in Kenya. Or maybe not. {Also, I had the thought that all I've been posting lately is fun weekend trips and exciting adventures, and I just want everyone to realize that my life has its fair share of ups and downs. Trust me. Hanging out in the south of France all summer isn't always tout a fait what it's cracked up to be.}

So I just got home from the store and I needed a major dose of the word of God. I love these comforting words:

"I do  know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day." -Alma 36:3

"And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yea, God has delivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yeah, and I do put my trust in him, and he will still deliver me." -Alma 36:27

{basically, the message of Alma 36 in a nutshell: God will always take care of you if you trust in Him. Maybe that's why we had this same Sunday school lesson 3 weeks in a row...?}

For some reason, I always have to remind myself that Heavenly Father has taken care of me up until this point in my life, and I KNOW (right? right! this is what I keep telling myself) that He will continue to do so. Sometimes it seems impossible, but who is God if not the all-knowing, all-powerful, kind Father for whom NOTHING is impossible?

"Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; fot the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation." -2 Nephi 22:2

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." -Proverbs 3:5-6

"Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks; Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament--the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted. . . . all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord." -D&C 98:1-3

"O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. . . . Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen." -2 Nephi 4:34-35


I am grateful though, for a Father in Heaven who knew that I would be lonely today and sent me a cute little French friend to hang out with. It may or may not be an 18-year-old kid (with a great sense of humor along with a bit of the obligatory southern-France foul mouth {luckily French swear words don't bother my nearly as much as English ones!}), but at this point I'll take any friend I can get!

If this sky doesn't say that God loves me, I don't know what does!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

My thoughts have been in this same vein all week...funny that we would find comfort through the words of Alma. For me specifically when he promised his son he would have peace in this life and eternal life in the life to come. I'm finding that the Lord has in fact supported me in my trials even when those are the very things that make me feel lonely too. Hang in there. He has a great plan!