Saturday, August 18, 2012

An island in the sun

A few weeks ago, Guillaume, one of the other volunteers here (except he's actually French), and I went to visit this lady, Madame Bentahar. She was so sweet and nice--serving us tea (which she was shocked that I refused, btw) and little homemade cookies and bread, even though she was doing Ramadan! During the visit, she talked about how we all ought to go on an outing to this little island that she visits sometimes. So we got it all arranged, met up early one morning, and set off for L'ile des Embiez.
Waiting for the boat to come pick us up.
I'm not sure if the people on this island live there or just have vacation homes, but either way, this is how they're getting there! Dang those rich people...
We went to this little aquarium they had there. It was literally the smallest aquarium I've ever seen in my whole life--only two little hallways.
But they had some crazy things. This is a giant sea cicada-- doesn't it look just like one?
And the mother (we assumed).
And this crazy thing that made us all afraid to ever get in the water again. We should've stood next to it so you could see the actual size, but it was roughly the size of a small cat. 
little crab man.
Madame Bentahar
Guillaume
They kept insisting that I take pictures in front of all these statues, because I am a visitor and it would help me save my memories of this place... ah, those good times with the mermaid statue...
Oh, the beach. Bless you.
If I haven't said it enough, the water it so crystal clear here, it's insane. We were literally looking for seashells on the bottom while we were up to our shoulders in the water.
After we took a little dip in the sea, we rented this little car/bike thing. We did a little tour of the island, pedaling the whole way. Let's be honest, Guillaume did most of the work. I only feared for my life a couple of times. That moment when you realize that you're in a moving vehicle with an 18-year-old...
King of the world!
He let me drive once. It was frustrating, because there were steering wheels on both sides but mine didn't work even though I tried.
We laughed a lot. It was fun.
And then, of course, we got some ice cream.
Cookies! Hahaha, Megan, I wrote that, not even thinking about it, and I said it in my head in Kirk's voice. Haha. That's by far the best flavor of ice cream in this whole country. I don't know why we don't have cookie flavor in america... maybe they're trying to copy us but they don't realize that ours is cookie dough?
Look! Apparently you can dive for baptisms! Woot!
Another beautiful boat.

All in all, we had a wonderful day under the sun all together. Despite all the time wasted at bus stops, swimming in that Mediterranean makes it all worth it!

No comments: