Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Las Vegas of Europe

During our nice weekend in Nice (will that joke ever get old?), we of course had to take the bus up to that little principality known as Monaco. The classy (I mean, as classy as a place whose entire existence depends on gambling), clean version of Las Vegas. 

The view from where we ate our lunch:

What blows my mind is how this Grimaldi guy just walked in (dressed as a monk) one day (back in the 1200s), took over, and crowned himself prince. What the heck! Or, maybe it was just his posterity who took it upon themselves to be called royalty. Either way, it just doesn't seem right.
The prince's...palace? I'm not sure what they call it. I think palace. There used to be a castle there.
Are we cute or what?
One of Napoleon's cannons. 

Some pretty building.
There was a wedding going on at the cathedral. So adorable! This would definitely be the cathedral I'd want to get married in... if I were going to, like, convert to catholicism or something. Probably not likely. 
Look how colorful it was! I was surprised at how new and clean and colorful it was.
Monte Carlo!

Look familiar...?

Rick wasn't kidding when he suggested that we scan the parking lot for all the shnazzy cars. Dang all those rich people... who spend all their time gambling? Not sure.
Too bad we couldn't take pictures inside, but you better believe we went in and used the [fanciest] bathrooms [I've ever seen in my life! (seriously. There was like this self-toilet-cleaning button, and the toilet seat rotated by itself to get cleaned. I just stared at it in shock)]. 
Also, the carpet inside was unbelievable!! It was seriously like 3 inches deep. I wanted to take my shoes off, but I'd probably have been kicked out. 
I thought it was ironic that the whole backside of the building is decorated with screaming faces. That's what gambling does to you, folks. Haha.
Overall, Monaco was cool. Doubt I'll ever go back, unless of course I become friends with some rich yacht owners who want to sail on over to see the Grand Prix (famous car race that goes on here every year)... not likely.

2 comments:

Megan K Leavitt said...

All I know about him is that his last name is Grimaldi.

Mindy Anne said...

hahaha.