Sunday, March 4, 2012

this beautiful world

Was today not the most perfectly beautiful day? I loved it. And I was infinitely proud of myself for not skipping church to more fully enjoy this beautiful weather. But I did take advantage of it after church by going to a park, laying on my blanket, and reading Pride and Prejudice. It was a magical afternoon. However, I couldn't help wishing it were Saturday, that I could go to the Peppermint Place and then have lunch at Big B's. So, you know, that almost made me cry. But alas, life is not life if it's not changing, right? In heaven there will be a Peppermint Place and a Big B's just for me (and my family too, I guess). Here's to hoping that the weather keeps up! It'll be spring in no time! :)

In other news, I watched the saddest movie ever last night--Sarah's Key.
Sarah's Key is a fictional story (same title as the book it's based off of) about the true story of the Vél d'hiv roundup. The Vél d'hiv {Vélodrome d'Hiver ("winter velodrome" [bicycle track])} roundup was when, on July 16 and 17, 1942, some 13,000 Jews living in Paris (mostly women and children) were rounded up to be deported to internment camps and finally on to work camps. The hub for these deportations was the Vél d'hiv, where prisoners stayed five days in completely inhumane conditions. This roundup was not done by the Nazis--it was the French police themselves (collaborationist France/the Vichy regime).

The movie is about a little girl named Sarah and her family's story of being taken from their home, her quest to save her younger brother, Michèl, and a reporter's need to uncover the whole story. It seriously broke my heart. I would not recommend this film to mothers (parents in general, but especially mothers), sisters, brothers . . . basically anyone who loves their family. You will bawl. This movie did, however, illustrate that even in the midst of the most horrible circumstances imaginable, there is still good in the world. For every evil neighbor there's a kind one; for every heartless soldier there's a compassionate one; for every selfish person there's a charitable one; for every bleak scenery there's a beautiful, breathtaking, rejuvenating one.

So, you should probably watch this movie. It's really great (aside from being completely heartbreaking). Plus it's half in French, half English, so that just makes it all the better. But just be warned: have some tissues on hand, because if you don't cry you probably don't have a soul.

No comments: