Tuesday, March 6, 2012

So on top of things

Don't worry; I'm studying NOW for a test that starts on Friday. I'm so impressed with myself, so of course I thought, "I should take a break from studying to post a picture of this" (this being the Great Vowel Shift diagram). I obviously failed to take into consideration when the Great Vowel Shift occurred when I signed up for Early Modern English. Clearly, since I couldn't even tell you when it happened. Sometime between the mid-1500s and the mid-1700s? That really narrows it down, doesn't it?

So here it is. Hopefully I can get this memorized (for what, the 5th time in my college career? Why can't it just stick?), along with several other completely useless charts, by next week:It really doesn't look that complicated, does it? I don't know why I have such a hard time memorizing it. Maybe because this is class where we start off with a 15 minute "devotional" (we take turns comparing different translations of scriptures and giving word etymologies), which I follow by about 25 minutes of daydreaming/planning and re-planning my summer and updating my planner. That leaves me a good 10 minutes at the end of class to pretend I'm paying attention. I'm sure the teacher's fooled (seriously. He's kind of the absent-minded professor type, which is adorable, but horribly boring). So wish me luck, because even with the help of my early-bird studying, I'm probably going to bomb this test.

No comments: