Friday, March 16, 2012

Number 1 sign my life is going right.

I feel like the quality of my life can almost literally be measured by one little thing: the number of lists I write. Seriously. I LOVE making lists. More than is probably normal to like making lists. I probably make an average of 5 lists a day, depending on how good my life is going. These days, I'm a list-making machine. That's how good it's going for me.
What is it that is so wonderful about lists? What makes it so life-affirming? For me, I think it's just the fact that I have something to look forward to, something to plan for, something to DO. How great. And even though most of my lists include a whole bunch of homework that frankly, I don't really care about most of the time, it's still better than what my alternative list would be like if I didn't have school (probably something close to: -buy more cereal, -watch more Gilmore Girls, -sleep in, . . . you get the idea). Also, I think that for me it's just a good feeling to know that I am {somewhat} organized, that I am actually getting things done (even if the most minimal amount of effort is put into it sometimes, it still gets done, and that's what really matters, isn't it?). Hooray for being productive!
Here's a list of the top few things I'm making lists about right now:

1. Like I said, homework lists are pretty frequent right about now. I keep one list in my planner and one on a Post-it. The double-list seems to be more effective in enticing me to actually work.

2. Summer plans list. This one just grows daily.
2a. Each separate summer plan has its own list. Things-to-do in each city, etc.
2b. This will all soon lead to my favorite list of all time: the PACKING LIST!!!! (do you hear that chorus of angels singing, or is that just me?)

3. Bridal Shower list. I'm planning a bridal shower for the bestie, and let me tell you: it's going to be the best party I've ever thrown--despite what my dream last night would lead me to believe. If not the best party then at the very least it will be the best-decorated party I've ever thrown. And I'm okay with that. This list breaks off into several other {blessed} lists, such as "food," "decorations," "things to buy," "things to spray paint" (no, I'm not joking), "guest list," etc, etc, etc. Can I just say how much I LOVE lists that lend themselves to sub-lists? My fav.

4. Ongoing "things to do list" includes gems like "finish taxes," "return DVDs to Walmart," "buy a watch," "wash my bike," "put air in my bike tires," etc, etc, etc.

5. Fall class schedule list. Sadly, this one is pretty short since the options are disappointingly slim.

6. Books to read list. This one always gets put on the back burner. Sad. Oh, hey! That's what would replace my homework list. Right. I'm trying to finish Pride & Prejudice and then next up on the list is Mere Christianity and Les Miserables. I keep trying to tell myself that I'll have time to read once school is over, but that's probably not true.

Speaking of summer, I'm really looking forward to the third week in April, not only because it's my birthday, but because the semester will be over (I've hit that point where I lack the motivation to even look at the syllabus to see what I ought to be doing. It's pretty bad.), and my homework to do list will suddenly look something like this: (except, of course, the couple of classes that I'm planning on auditing. But other than that...)
My medium of choice for my lists is Post-its. I don't think I could even get through one day without Post-its. I have 4 different colored stacks of Post-its in my backpack at all times. But I would be just as lost without my planner. Haha, you should have seen my missionary planner. They are so small that a Post-it pretty much takes up an entire page, and I usually had at least two per page. It was a nightmare. I am so happy to be able to have a regular, full-sized planner that is happy to accommodate all of my Post-it needs.
So yeah. Life is good. Just ask me, and I'll give you a list of all the reasons why :)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey Meg, I always knew you loved lists! Oh wait, you're Mindy. Dude, you guys need to stop hanging out...
psh, lists?

Don't worry, I just went over my four-page list tonight. It's a sickness. And yes, I kinda heard angels singing.

Lauren said...

list lovers unite!

Brad and Kimberly said...

My desk at school is forever covered in post its. I just love them with all my heart. My 8th grade department thinks I am crazy because I keep all our meeting notes on post-its that are stuck all over a folder. But we are always organized! My students have started writing me notes on post-its so that I will actually answer their questions! Love love love you Mindy. Oh and on your to be read pile should be the happiness project. She is also a fellow lister