Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Atlantic City buzz

Yesterday we flew from Denver to Newark. I saw the empire state building and the statue of liberty out the window--so cool! 
This was the greeting our bosses gave us at the airport-- "Welcome ZAGG-terns!" 
Cute, huh?
After getting all my bags and rental car and product and everything, I set out south--down the New Jersey turnpike. I don't know why this road has always been on my list of cool roads to drive down. Maybe they mentioned it a few times in Seinfeld, or maybe I'm just a weirdo. Either way, the drive was really pretty and green. So many trees!
 
I made the 2-hour drive down to Atlantic City. 
You may or may not know of my love for Gilmore Girls. There's one episode where Lorelei and Rory take a trip to Atlantic City for Rory's belated 21st-birthday party. They drink martinis at a blackjack table and play 21 while pretending Rory was turning 21 at midnight, win and buy 21 things with their winnings, and get 21 guys' phone numbers. Oh, and they also find Luke's cross-dressing doppelganger and see Tony Danza tap dance. 
 Now, the couple of hours that I spent in Atlantic City weren't quite as exciting as their trip, but I did my best. 

First stop: the boardwalk. Unlike Emily Gilmore's assertion, it wasn't anything like tipping an overflowing trash can onto your porch.  
There it is: THE boardwalk.
And UNDER the boardwalk:
The pier was so fun--basically a perma-carnival. 
Guys. Just pretend I didn't forget to go in and play video poker on the third machine in the second row of machines as you hit the entrance of Trump Taj Mahal, okay?
So so many seagulls there. And they were like kamikaze birds, too--flew straight at me several times. 
The entrance to the pier:
So, yeah. Ended the night inside Caesar's Palace... naturally.
Went and ordered a Shirley Temple. 
Bartender: How old are you?
Me: ... 26
Bartender: No, that's cute. 
Kill me. 
And then he gave me extra cherries. 
So what I should have realized, though, is that a Shirley Temple is just Sprite with like Grenadine syrup in it, right? More sugar than I've had in probably 9 months, right there. It kind of made me sick. Which is very Gilmore Girls-esque, though, so I'll just chalk it up to being part of the experience. 

All in all, I wish Megan had been there because I am confident that we'd have been able to get 21 guys' number without much difficulty.

1 comment:

Linnea said...

I love the iphone signs! Next missionary who comes home in our family I am totally doing that - beats the posterboard effort any day.