Tuesday, March 12, 2013

x equals finding the blessings

I have been remiss! Also, in the midst of moving and trying to get things put together and all that jazz, I haven't really had any talks on my mind. I've been trying to read through general conference talks more often, and I don't know why I feel like I should branch out and read talks that don't really grab my attention when I'm drawn to the same talks over and over for a reason. Anyway, this is one of those talks:

"Trial of Your Faith," by Elder Neil L. Andersen, from the October 2012 general conference.

At the time, I felt as if he gave this talk just for me. And reading through it again, it still seems that way. You know how people (Sunday school teachers in particular) always accuse others of that internal "when x happens, I'll be happy" train of thought? Well, as I was reading this talk, I realized that for me, x = trials ending. How ridiculous, right? I always get it into my mind that this person or that person has the perfect, trial-free life, and that someday, maybe my life will resemble theirs. But I realize more and more every day that no one's life is perfect--no one's life is free from trials. Maybe some people are just at a lighter-trial-load moment, but nobody is immune to the inevitability of trials. 

As Elder Andersen pointed out, "Peter later encouraged others: 'Think it not strange,' he said, 'concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you.'"

I always, selfishly, think that I am (or ought to be) the exception to the rule (or, if the rule is trials, that I am the only one being singled out in the rule). However, life (AKA God) seems pretty determined to drill it into my head that trials are something to be expected. After all, we are here on earth to prove that we can handle everything that will be thrown our way.

Elder A. again:
"These fiery trials are designed to make you stronger, but they have the potential to diminish or even destroy your trust in the Son of God and to weaken your resolve to keep your promises to Him. These trials are often camouflaged, making them difficult to identify. They take root in our weaknesses, our vulnerabilities, our sensitivities, or in those things that matter most to us."

Funny how sometimes we might not even recognize trials for what they are. Until it's too late . . . haha, just kidding. But I like how he points out that trials take root in our weaknesses, etc. Again, isn't that the point of trials? To "make weak things become strong" unto us? You start to see how the Lord is going about that little task of perfecting us.

Elder A. quoting a young single adult:
"I made the decision to put my . . . trust in Jesus Christ. Going to the temple frequently helps me keep a more eternal focus. It reminds me that I am never alone. I have faith . . . that no . . . blessing will be withheld . . . as I . . . remain faithful to my covenants, including the law of chastity."

I thought this quote was interesting, because I often feel most alone in the temple (especially if it's a Friday night at the Provo temple--never again!!). But I agree that it helps with the eternal focus thing. As do these scriptures. And that eternal perspective is something that is useful to anyone, no matter the trial.

Another YSA quote:
"Did we not come to earth to confront challenges and to show God our love and respect for Him by keeping His commandments?"

"By definition, trials will be trying. (mindy's interruption--I love how I find myself complaining to Heavenly Father that my trials are so hard. Duh. That must be what He thinks back. Thankfully, He instead uses words like, "Peace be unto you," when really all He should be saying to us is "duh.")  There may be anguish, confusion, sleepless nights, and pillows wet with tears. But our trials need not be spiritually fatal. They need not take us from our covenants or from the household of God."

I received a very sweet message the other day. This person told me about how their trial became a blessing for them (yes, I advocate they/them as the singular third person neutral pronoun. get over it.) in the long run, and how the effects of that trial-turned-blessing continue to bless them to this day, after the trial has ended. Elder A. shares a bit of Elder Christofferson's experience with this same thing:

"Though I suffered then, as I look back now, I am grateful that there was not a quick solution to my problem. The fact that I was forced to turn to God for help almost daily over an extended period of years taught me truly how to pray and get answers to prayer and taught me in a very practical way to have faith in God. I came to know my Savior and my Heavenly Father in a way and to a degree that might not have happened otherwise or that might have taken me much longer to achieve. . . . I learned to trust in the Lord with all my heart. I learned to walk with Him day by day."

It never ceases to amaze me how we are still so much like children when it comes to trials. We have such a limited view of this life, especially when it comes to trials. I'm so grateful for the little moments that I have every now and then, those little glimpses of the "why," and the insights I sometimes grasp as I realize that a certain trial (especially ones that seem to last forever) was perfectly crafted by a loving Creator to turn into a blessing bigger than I could have ever imagined. 

So basically, my x will probably never happen. Trials will keep on coming (and when will I stop being surprised by this?), as they have to everyone since the creation of man. But because we have a loving Heavenly Father and a Savior, we can learn to find the blessings in our trials. We can learn to be happy  in spite of and even because of our trials.

No comments: