Sunday, March 17, 2013

Lu'au recap

For the past two years, my best friend and I have participated in BYU's annual Lu'au (2011 & 2012). This year, I was all signed up and ready to go, and even went to 3 or 4 practices, but then my Saturdays just got too busy to keep it up. It's okay, though, because that meant I actually got to watch the show this time! And let me just say, boy those Samoans are loud! And fun :) We loved it!
Our sneaky picture. We just love those dresses that remind us so much of Wallisian/Futunians.
Fiji men:
Tahiti:
Skinny white boys dancing Tahitian-style:
The Samoa section playing leap-frog


My friend Alyssa tearing it up to introduce the Maori section:
Maori pukanas!
I took this picture of the Tonga section to show how people were bringing their little kids up on stage to put dollar bills on people's costumes, but I didn't realize that my friend Jessica was there on the left!
Um... maybe the Tonga section? Some cool drumming...
Tonga cheats to make everyone love their section the most by recruiting adorable little kids to be in their dances. And it totally works!
The Maori section, however, recruited BYU's rugby team to perform the Haka. It was pretty intense. 
Hawaii section with my friend Haliaka (who I danced with in the Fiji section last year) right in the middle:
Tonga section again--check out this girl's dollar bill lei! Legit.
The Samoa "princess." She had to be so rich by the end of that dance!
At least there was one of our New Cal sisters who performed in the Tahiti section! Way to represent, Lynzee!
Someone's mom made all these headpieces! What the heck. 
We love the Lu'au! I'll have to find some excuse to go again next year. :)

No comments: