Sunday, January 6, 2013

Holy Places

Spending too much time at my house is bad for me because I just start to think of all the decorating projects I could do if I had a house. But I don't have a house; I have a room. So my designing is limited to four sad little walls. Ah, to be a grown up. One day, maybe. 

Anyway, at church we are doing this thing where every month there's a different thing to work on. January is all about making holy places, whether it be in your room or your car or your workplace or wherever. So since I've been spending so much time in my room, I decided that would be a good place to start. Besides the fact that I have been trying to clean my room since I got home from France (four. months. ago.).

The theme for the year is "Stand in Holy Places," from the scripture D&C 87:8, which was the inspiration for my new wall.

Here is the before picture of the wall above my desk:
I love my safari poster, but it's been there long enough. 

I bought a whole bunch of frames from the DI...
 and even lucked out getting these really nice frames for only $8 for all three. Score!
I painted all the frames white, but the two roundish ones didn't really cooperate. On Saturday, I went out to get some more spray paint and thought that I would just go to Hobby Lobby and buy a round frame, but then I thought to go to a different DI, and what was waiting for me there but this little beauty of a frame: 
 It made me so happy :)

I also spent a few hours making up some posters for the wall. Of course I needed the scripture on there, so this is what I made:

Unfortunately, I forgot the measurements of my frame while I was making it, so I had to cut off the bottom (I'll fix it sometime and print out the whole thing so it fits). Still cute. 

Mapping out the wall:

Ta-da!! The finished wall.
I filled the frames with pictures of some of the temples I've been to. Pictured here are the Provo, Boston, Manti, Los Angeles, Logan, Nauvoo, St. George, Washington DC, and Fiji temples. 

No, these are not the exact words to the scripture, but they are the lyrics to a Chris Tomlin song (yes, again, I listen to the Christian station. don't judge) which I love. It's almost the scripture...  
The after of that cute frame I found. Love it.

I like this one. It's "endure to the end" in all four languages from my mission: English, French, Fijian, and Bislama. I did it because I love that the expression for "endure to the end" in Bislama is "stand up strong." Gotta love those pidgin languages.

I've also been spending hours trying to make my bookshelves cuter. I would have to say that I've succeeded. At least I think they're cute.  Now if I can keep this space clean, it may just work as my holy place.

So... any ideas for other "holy places"?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Are we like the same person? I just re-vamped my tall white bookshelves this well too. Love the holy wall. :)

Jenny Spencer said...

Love this idea. You are so cute and crafty and smart. Thanks for the great idea!

phlaurel said...

looks so great, minds!

Amanda said...

Love, love, love this. I feel inspired. Thanks!

Linnea said...

I love this. I adore the bookcases- so great!