Monday, April 29, 2013

Madame Emma

Have you ever met someone and you knew right away that you were going to be good friends? That's how I feel about Madame Bovary--the book, not the person. 

I'm not sure what it is about this book, but I just love it so much. I might need to read it in English, however, to be sure. Some of the more salacious parts may have gotten lost in the French for me; not sure. 

Anyway, to sum up, the story is about this guy, Charles Bovary. His first wife dies and he remarries this farm girl, Emma. She is obsessed with reading and loves the adventure and excitement of the kind of love she reads about. Basically she is just unbelievably disappointed with her boring, empty life (not to mention her boring, empty husband). She tries to spice up her life with fashion, men, and even religion, but she ends up ruining not only her life but also her husband's and child's.
 
It really is just the best story about being dissatisfied with what you have--no matter what--that I've ever read. 
So you should read it. And if you have read it, I'd love to discuss it with you. I'd also love to write a couple more research papers on it. Random, much?

No comments: