Friday, April 19, 2013

All the rules will be fair

So if you are currently in my ward, you can probably skip this post, since it's basically what I said in fast and testimony meeting last week. But I felt the need to share this with those who weren't lucky enough to be there in person ;)

A friend and I are excited to be going to Women's Conference in a couple weeks, down at BYU. We decided that because there are so many classes, we would go through and choose which ones we wanted to attend and then go over our top choices together to see if there are any that overlap. So I was reading through the class descriptions for the ones I'd narrowed it down to, and then reading the little bios of the presenters. Most of them were pretty basic, but then I came across this one:

"Former president of Young Single Adult stake Relief Society; wife; mother;
firm believer that the Lord never cheats anyone."

I read that and just burst into tears. (Granted, there may have been some mood-altering hormonal issues going on at the time, but still.) That phrase just hit me like a ton of bricks. Now, lest you think I go around every day thinking that the Lord is cheating me, let me say: I've never actually even thought about my lack-of-blessings(read:husband&kids)-that-everyone-else-seems-to-have situation in those terms, but reading that little phrase made me wonder if deep down I have been feeling like that. Luckily I didn't realize it before I had this experience and discovered that I 100% share this woman's belief. 

Going along with that, I keep thinking of this quote from General Conference. Definitely one of my favorites (quotes AND talks!) (by the way, check out the conference highlights here! SO great!). It was from Elder Cook's talk about peace.
He said (quoting Ugo Betti, an Italian judge and author),

"To believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair
and that there will be wonderful surprises."

(And also, from Elder Nelson: "Our living God is a loving God.")

Deuteronomy 32:4 "He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he."

2 Samuel 22:31, 33 "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is tried . . . God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect."

I just think already of all the wonderful surprises I have had in my life. How could I not believe in God?! His way, though I clearly don't often understand it completely, truly is perfect. It gets clearer and clearer all the time that He has a plan for all of our lives
 and that His plans are always infinitely better than our own.
So why should I ever complain, knowing that my life is in His hands?

Also, I just got my tentative summer itinerary for the internship I'm doing. Don't worry, I'll be traveling for about three and a half months to, oh, you know, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, Denver, NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, North & South Carolina, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Chicago, Milwaukee, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Arizona. So if you're in one of those places, hopefully I can stop by and see you this summer!!

What a wonderful surprise!!
How's that for the Lord not cheating me?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Yea for women's conference--and for speakers that seem to have no qualifications but can impact us anyway, like the bio you mentioned impacted you! I'm so excited, girl.