Friday, July 6, 2012

La France...for the first time!

Here was our French Fourth of July celebration:
(notice our red-and-white and blue-and-white striped shirts--can't say we're not patriotic!)

So I got off the train in Toulon after 41 hours of travel (yeah.), and I was so happy to see Jacqueline there to pick me up. We went and met all the people who work in the "local" (it's like the office for les Petits Freres des Pauvres here, and I have no idea why they call it the local). There are two younger guys, Guillaume and Kevin, and then the director, Didier, and then a bunch of other people who I have no idea what they do. Jacqueline can't get over Guillaume and how much he is 100% the perfect Frenchmen stereotype. He thinks that France is the best at everything, and he would look completely normal wearing a full-on Three Musketeers outfit. 

Then we went over to our apartment, which is like student/intern housing and is actually quite big (we each have our own large desk and bookshelf). I unpacked a bit, and then we went out exploring. 

But of COURSE, the first thing I had to do was get a patisserie! I mean, really, why else did I come to France? I told the lady we bought it from that it was my first patisserie en France, and she was like, "oh, how long have you been here?" And I said, "About two hours." She gave us some free bread :)

So far, so good in France. I can't wait to eat some more of those patisseries! 

No comments: