Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A night on the town

A few weeks ago, we had a little nighttime outing with a few of the elderly people we visit. Since it's so hot during the day here, the volunteers who organize activities decided last year to start doing these evening outings to make it more comfortable for everyone. I was excited to go (there were three of us volunteers, 5 elderly people (+1 of their granddaughters)), but I expected that since we were leaving around 8, I'd probably be home by 10:30, 11:00 at the latest. WRONG! I got home at ONE in the morning! I couldn't believe it. I felt like I was the most tired person in the whole "minibus," as we call it. Obviously I'm not quite up to hitting the town with old folks yet! No one warned me that I needed to take a nap beforehand. Oh well, I'll know better next time.

We started off at the harbor in Hyères, a little town just to the east of Toulon. They had all these cute vendors lined up along the harbor, selling everything from jewelry to artwork to candy to wooden bowls. It was adorable. 
Madame Robert, Nicole, Yvonne, Nathalie, Alain & Gabriella, and moi-meme.
After walking up and down the harbor (just slow enough to make sure that we didn't miss a thing!), we sat back and relaxed while eating our "petites" ice creams.
Melanie with her mint shake.
The whole group with our ice creams! I am definitely going back to that place. Luckily we have the same restaurant at our harbor here in Toulon. 
This couple was so adorable. He's French, she's Italian, and they met while both of their families were living in Colombia. They have quite the story. It was Gabriella, who doesn't speak much French, who said afterward that the ice creams were "très petites." Haha!
We finished up our ice cream and headed over to walk around this little summertime carnival, Magic World! Who could pass that up?
This was hands down the weirdest stuffed-animal prize I've ever seen in my entire life. A smoking, rasta banana. Who is coming up with these things?!
The swings went up as they went around...
...and we were all mesmerized.
Another group photo
Something that makes me laugh: cotton candy in French is called Dad's beard. Appetizing, eh?
They had all these really strange ride names, most of which made reference to either American cities or movies or culture. What can I say? That's why we're the best.
 Indiana J. Word.
Even the garbage cans were really cute. Who wouldn't want to throw their trash into that wide open trap?
A la prochain, Magic World!

2 comments:

Megan K Leavitt said...

I like that you keep calling them "ice creams." Seems very French of you.

Lisa said...

Uh, creepy bananas and Dad's beard? Wow. Sounds like...fun?