Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Summer movie lineup

Summertime. It's official. I may or may not have already forgotten every single thing I learned last semester and every single thing relating to school at all. Bliss! Except I have a sneaking suspicion that summertime brings out the lazy in me. In everyone? Yeah. So far, my summer plans (aside from the travels) include daily bike rides down the Provo river trail and basically moving in at my job. So much fun. 

Summertime also means getting to watch (and actually enjoy) all my favorite summertime movies. Here's just a few of them:

1- Now & Then. Nothing says summertime like hanging out with your friends, riding your bikes all day while listening to music, drinking coke, spying on naked boys playing in the lake (oh wait...), trying to solve a murder-mystery, and earning money to buy a tree house. 

2- The Sandlot. Baseball. S'mores. Community swimming pool. The biggest pickle and the great Bambino. 

3- Grease. Summer lovin'. Drive-ins, milkshakes, and carnivals. Classic summertime. P.S. who wants to go to a drive-in with me this summer?

4- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (1 & 2). New places, new boys, new adventures. Old pants. Best friends. Greece, anyone?

5- The Parent Trap. Summer camp! And I'm referring to the original Haley Mills movie ("I shan't tell my aunt about the ants, nor the debutante") as well as the Lindsey Lohan remake (where some of the camp scenes were filmed in Lake Arrowhead, California, hometown of the bestie and where we'll be spending 2 weeks this summer!). 

6- It Takes Two. Another summer camp! Big gooey messy burgers, food fights, and helping people fall in love: Mary-Kate-and-Ashley Style.

7- Dirty Dancing. Learning to dance and falling in love with Patrick Swayze? Yes, please. 

8- A Goofy Movie. Ultimate summer road trip. Quality time with dad and possums, sneaking around and lying to your dad, fishing, cheese whiz. 

9- Heavyweights. FAT camp. My favorite part is how they hide the candy in the legs of the bunk beds. Smart move. 

10- My Girl. This one I'm adding on because of Megan. It seems like she loved this movie a whole lot. Quintessentially summertime; horribly, horribly sad. Stay away from bees.

11- Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain. Yes, I'm including this obscure Christina Ricci movie, which I feel like I watched an awful lot when I was little. Wish I could have a gold-finding adventure this cool. 


I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of good summer movies. People always mention Jaws as a classic summertime film, but frankly, I'm not sure if I've ever seen it. I think I've seen the fakey scene with the shark's mouth wide open, but that's it. Also, I just don't think that scary movies (even poorly made scary movies) belong in a summertime movie collection. Call me crazy, but those seem more appropriate for fall. Summer is fun, so the movies should also be fun. Sunshine, bike rides, ice cream, vacation, swimming, best friends: Pretty much your key ingredients for a good summertime movie. 

What are your favorite summertime movies? I need to expand my collection here!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Great list! I would probably add Mama Mia and the Butter Cream Gang to the list. I'm sure I'll think of five more after I post this, but that's all I've got for now. :) And by the way, I'm up for a summer time movie marathon any day! We could even set it up outside with the hammock!

Linnea said...

Now and Then!!! Ahhh - love that movie and haven't thought about it in ages! I want to go watch it now...