Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bee why you Lou ow.

After months of going to 4-hour Saturday practices, never getting to sleep in, schlepping ourselves through awkward practices, complaining in French (mostly because we'd be the only people there at 6 a.m.), eating cereal by myself at 6 a.m. in the Wilk, learning more about Fijian and New Zealand culture, learning new dances, memorizing Maori words and songs, hitting myself with my poi ball, trying on costumes,

the Lu'au finally came!
(the picture I took of my cereal. You can't see, but the clock down in the terrace says 6:10 a.m. Very weird moment for me.)
I'm not sure if I liked this year better than last year. I felt like I was more prepared last year for the actual performance, but it was still a great experience. I really enjoyed being able to do two different sections this year and making new friends and perfecting my poi-ing skills and just having fun. When it was fun. But we sure had fun getting ready. Haliaka (from Hawaii) was a pro at doing our hair. We did "sock buns," and I was super impressed by how mine turned out! Here are a few of the Fiji girls getting ready in the secret bathroom up on the 5th floor of the Wilk:

Jasmine, Rachel, Haliaka, Allison:
Tamera brought an ironing board. I just thought that was hilarious for some reason.
What happens when I leave my camera with Laurel: a picture of her leaf-wreathed feet.
The Fiji girls!
Please note the lipstick.
Our choreographer, Riana, and her husband, Tony.
The whole Fiji section! Granted, we did mess up a few times during the performance, but we still had fun. And really, that's all that matters to Fijians, so I think we represented the island well enough.
My family came to see the show again! They are so great. Originally, Jayna was supposed to come, but she got sick that day so Logan filled in for her.
Check out that pukana! He's a natural!
Look where he gets it...
Can I just say how much I love these two? Good choice, Laurel. :) This is our evil "I'm going to kill you and then eat you" face. Yeah. Maori warfare is intense, so don't mess with us.
Kari, me, Jasmine, Tamera.
Logan gave me a dollar bill after the show. I'm not sure if he was inspired by the Samoan princess money dance, or if he was just that impressed by the show, but it sure was nice of him :)
Fiji & New Zealand. We'll see what section I do next year . . .
My cute little friend Jessica.
me, Eloisa, Jean
me & Cara
A fellow Fijian!
Here I am after the show, sporting my 2012 Lu'au t-shirt. It's pretty cool. I'm pretty sure that look of happiness is relief at the Lu'au being over. But then again, it might be the happiness of someone who got to wear a whole lot of makeup (don't know how much I loved the whole black lipstick thing, though). I just don't love anything more than wearing makeup. Except, you know, wearing a whole lot of makeup while doing some fun Polynesian dances.

No comments: