Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 2

Hello again! Don't get used to this every day thing, but we have a free computer here, so I've got to take advantage! Today was a little bit crazy! They set us free this morning to wander around town. Chloe, Emily and I wanted to buy bags, so we got our money exchanged and set out!

Little did we know that there would be plenty of people (cough, cough) willing to help us in this endeavor. So here I am with Mike, who was nice enough to show (...follow?) me around all day and show me where the good stuff was.

Me and Stephanie:
MANGOS!!
Emily and I with our cute new bags!
They chew on these sticks to clean and strengthen their teeth. It almost made me gag a few times, but boy did my teeth feel clean!
Then we went to Aminata Sow Fall's house, who is a very famous African author, and maybe one of the most famous female authors in all of Africa. She fed us lunch and we talked to her and her husband for a while, so that was cool. In the picture from left to right: Emily, me, Samba, Madame Thompson, Aminata, Chloe, May, Sarah
My first mango :) ... in this country at least
No trip to Africa would be complete without seeing some man selling a turkey...
My roommate Chelsey and I in front of this giant statue (one of the largest in the world). It represents "la renaissance de l'Afrique" -- the rebirth of Africa. Very cool.
Here's me with a view of Dakar in the background:

3 comments:

Megan K Leavitt said...

When I told Marc that you were on the West Coast of Africa he was like "They're SO dark there, it's awesome" And then these pictures showed up to confirm it. I'm only slightly really really jealous. Love you!

Lisa said...

Sheesh! It looks like you've been there two weeks, not two days! Live it up little sis--what an incredible opportunity. Be safe. Love you!

Chelsea Lee said...

My favorite is the Turkey Picture. Do they really stand out on the road and sell them like that? I guess it beats going out and killing one yourself. At least it's fresh right?

Will you bring me home a Turkey?

No, I'm kidding! Okay I'm NOT!

I showed Jake and Cohen the pictures and told them about your trip to Africa. We even showed them where you are on the Map in our kitchen. When we came to the picture of the twig you used to clean your teeth they said "Wow we're so lucky that we can have real toothbrushes!"

We Love You! Have Fun!