Thursday, January 16, 2014

Editorializing the everyday

You had to have expected this. That my blog would somehow start incorporating grammar ditties (not that they're going to be set to music or anything, but maybe one day...). With the new year, I thought I ought to revamp the blog a bit. And I also decided that I needed an outlet where I could vent all my grammar usage (and misuse) frustrations. With all that in mind, I came up with [created, if you will] a new blog title:

Editorializing the Everyday. 

The inspiration mostly came from my latest pet peeve: the improper use of everyday vs. every day. So first thing's first. Let's go over this real quick.

everyday is an adjective. As in, it describes things–things that are just run-of-the-mill, boring ol' things that have some sort of regularity to them. Everyday chores. Everyday shoes. Whatever.

everyday can also be a noun, as in, the everyday. The daily grind would be pretty synonymous with that, as much as I hate that expression.

every day. This expression is composed of every, which is an adjective by itself, and day, which is a noun. Every is describing day, as in every day, the sun rises. And every day, I brush my teeth. I need to exercise every day. Which day? every day. If you can substitute each into the phrase, then pick this one.

Phew. Okay. Glad to have that off my chest. Back to the new blog title. Editorializing? I don't consider myself to be a very opinionated person (perhaps because I don't make myself informed enough about certain topics to be able to intelligently claim an opinion), but I do love editing, and it's close, right? I also do have my own point of view on things (read: life), and I plan on continuing to share them, along with my random happenings, periodic epiphanies and insights, and yes, a few grammar-themed posts mixed in there.

So, enjoy. Or not. Either way, there it is.

To start off this newly titled blog right, here are a few pictures of some of my favorite everyday objects:
My hand sanitizer. I'd probably die without this. Like, literally. Who knows how many times it's saved my life already. Also I'm sick right now, so it's probably saving some other people, too.

My lip gloss. I don't really have a special-occasions lip gloss, so this is not only my everyday lip gloss, it's my only lip gloss ever. I use it every day. Multiple times a day. Okay, multiple times an hour.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I never, ever use everyday. I had begun to question it's existence. Thank you so much for clearing that up. I need an everyday lip gloss as I do not have a favorite favorite. :) How was that? P.S. I really hate having to prove I am not a robot. Half of the time I get the text wrong!