Sunday, September 2, 2012

If this be the desire of your hearts

 Last week, my oldest niece turned eight. The big a-of-a (if you get that, I'll give you a million bucks!).
Her mom was planning on throwing her one heck of a surprise party, but she needed a decoy. Enter me. I took Jayna out to dinner at Winger's to get her out of the house while all the guests arrived, and to discuss her imminent entrance into a few pretty important promises with Heavenly Father. 

We had a great discussion about the importance of baptism. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one can be baptized at the age of eight, so eight is a pretty big deal for us. We talked about what we promise during baptism: to obey all of the commandments (including such things as going to church, reading scriptures, praying, being nice and serving others, repenting, etc.), to try to follow Jesus Christ and to always remember Him. In exchange, Heavenly Father promises that He will bless us and forgive us and give us the gift of His spirit to lead and guide us throughout our lives.  
 Being baptized also means that you become a member of the Church. Officially. Jayna shared her sweet little testimony with me about how she just knows that this Church is true. 

And we ate some great asphalt pie. 
 Jayna was duly surprised when we got to her house, so the party was a success.

Then yesterday was the big day. Baptism day! 

Megan and I were worried that we weren't looking like each other anymore . . .  we decided that it's just because I looked like I was from the 50s, she from the 60s, and then there was also Gavin, from the 70s. Don't know how that worked out! 

The baptism was so sweet! My dad gave a wonderful talk about baptism, mentioning a few of the other promises we make (Mosiah 18:8-10). And of course, Jayna looked beautiful in both of her baptism dresses!
 Don't know how we always manage to match. And Lisa's wearing heals in this picture. Promise I'm not that short. Love that little bumbo baby (sorry, Lis, you said that once and it just kind of stuck in my head). 


No comments: