Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hubble deep field

So have you all heard of the hubble deep field? It's basically an image taken over ten days from the hubble space telescope. It covers 1/24 millionth of the sky ("and, begging your pardon, Mr. President, but it's a big-a sky"--name that movie). And in that teeny tiny bit of sky, there are about 3,000 objects within sight. And those objects aren't stars. They're galaxies. Yeah. Wrap your mind around that.  

Anyway, this little piece of information led a coworker and I to have an interesting conversation about knowledge and God's omniscience. Actually, the conversation started by our incredulity over how many genius people there are in the world (I mean, when you come up with the 7th and final Huzita-Hatori origami axiom, you are just logged away with every other genius out there, right?), and how everyone's brains work so differently. Take me, for example. English, grammar? I'm all over that. Math, science? Kill me. My brain just simply doesn't accept that genre of knowledge. Oh well.

So back to these 3,000 galaxies. How insane is that? I mean, we know already the doctrine that Heavenly Father has created worlds without number, but seriously? We never really think about that. And He is able to have done that and keep track of it all because He knows all. English, languages, math, science, origami--all of it. 

As my coworker and I were having this conversation, I definitely had a Moses moment in realizing that  "man is nothing." We are just these tiny specks in this whole... universe? Does that include other galaxies? Whatever. We are basically nothing. 

Naturally, this reminded me of President Uchtforf's talk "You Matter to Him" (yes, I know I have written about this talk before, but it's just that good). I love how he talks about this, and especially how he divides up his talk--first, we are less than we suppose, especially in the face of things like the hubble deep field image. Next, we are greater than we suppose, since the entire universe was created, essentially, for us. Then he talks about pride and how pride can do one of two things: puff us up and make us believe "in the fantasy of [our] own self-important and invincibility"; or, Satan can convince us that we are too insignificant to be of value, even to God. 

I think I'm more on the latter side. I often feel insignificant and unimportant (and, frankly, when talking to some of the people that I interview for work, dumb), and yet there have been so many times in my life when I have been 100% sure that Heavenly Father is aware of me and my needs and that I am completely in His care. How He can take care of all His children so personally and individually and lovingly is completely outside my understanding, but there it is, nonetheless.

Some of my favorite quotes from Pres. Uchdorf's talk:
"It may be true that man is nothing in comparison to the greatness of the universe. At times we may even feel insignificant, invisible, alone, or forgotten. But always remember you matter to Him!"

"God sees you not only as a mortal being on a small planet who lives for a brief season--He sees you as His child. He sees you as the being you are capable and designed to become. He wants you to know that you matter to Him."

"May we ever believe, trust, and align our lives so that we will understand our true eternal worth and potential."

Anyway, go read it. It's great. And then remember that, despite the mind-blowing hugeness of the universe, you are still important to and known by the Being that created it.