Thursday, October 25, 2012

Because of the rock

So, I started this post maybe a week ago and for some reason couldn't bring myself to finish or post it. And to be honest, I think there was a reason for it! I needed yet again another reminder of this scripture...


 I've had this on my mind for a while, so I thought I should take a minute to blog about it. Maybe this is just me, but I feel like I go through different phases where one scripture jumps out at me more often than others. Like, for months at a time. So here's my scripture of the moment:

"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall" (Helaman 5:12).

Lately I've been feeling those mighty winds and shafts in the whirlwind a lot stronger than usual. Can we just say it?: life is freaking hard. Everyone has their own trials and struggles and heartache in life, and it's just hard. I realized this morning that I have this horrible habit of comparing other people's trials to my own and then minimizing what they're going through based on what I am. How awful am I? Yes, I know. But my life is good, it really is. I really need to work on being more grateful for what I have and not ungrateful for what I don't have or what I've lost. The one constant thing in life is change--everyone will change jobs, change houses, change cars, change acquaintances, change plans, change goals, etc, etc, etc. (By the way, I just watched Sirius die while writing this. Case in point.)
And I for one really hate change.
But all this change is exactly the reason why we need to have a sure and solid foundation. And that foundation must be our Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Faith in Jesus Christ yields hope for the future, hope which also helps anchor us amidst the storms of life. I guess what this all means is that if the mighty winds and the shafts in the whirlwind are seeming stronger, then I have some work to do on my foundation. Because there's change a-coming, and there are more trials and challenges ahead, and I need to be ready to have it beat upon me without letting it drag me down to the gulf of misery. Remember, remember! 

2 comments:

Linnea said...

This is a really great post, Mindy. Thanks for sharing.

My mom told me just this week that she started a gratitude journal where she writes down 5 things she is grateful for each night before going to bed, so I've started one, too. I think it will help me really focus on the positive and all the wonderful things I have.

Change is hard.

Carl and Shirley Mautz said...

Very thoughtful post Mindy. Thank you. I love you.