Friday, May 11, 2012

Sign me up as a senior missionary in Nauvoo.

We had a VERY busy day today. But it was great. I mean, you can't not have a great day in Nauvoo, right? We started out with the wedding of a fellow New Caledonian missionary. It was a beautiful day for a wedding. The sealing was so nice and there was such a beautiful spirit in there with us. 
 Still can't believe that we are actually here!
 The happy couple:
 And another happy couple!
 Here we are in front of the temple. It was a bit on the windy side, but still beautiful outside. 

This is a statue in front of the temple depicting Joseph and Hyrum setting off on horseback to Carthage. 

 The rest of the morning was filled with other wedding festivities: a luncheon at the same place we ate at last night (yes, ANOTHER buffet. Kill us!! I mean, it was delicious, but seriously. We have had many a conversation about the french verb bouffer, which means to stuff oneself. SO fitting). After the luncheon, I walked around town for a bit--saw the bookstore, the post office, and some cute little shops. Then they had a little ring ceremony at this hall, and we sent the couple off with bubbles. But we didn't wait around for cake because, really, we didn't need it. 

We finally got down to the visitors' center and looked around for a bit. It was interesting to read more about the city and all the goings-on throughout the years. In the back of the center, there is a little garden with all these statues of women in different stages of life. It is wonderful! I was going to just take pictures of my favorites, but I took pictures of all of them. I won't post them all, though, don't worry.

Remember how I played the violin once upon a time?

 Sis. Mautz loves the quilting grandma one. Go figure! :)

 This one reminded me of you, Lisa. And Jayna and baby, obviously, even though the baby in this statue is a boy. Oh well.

 Praying

 This picture is out of order, but this is our hotel, kitty-corner to the temple. 

After going to the visitors' center, we went over to the Community of Christ part of historic Nauvoo (since they still own several of the buildings) and were able to catch up with a tour that just began. Our tour guide led us around the buildings that lie right on the banks of the Mississippi River. 

Here's the Nauvoo House. It used to be a lot bigger, apparently. 

 Joseph and Emma's house. This is the original house! That second part was added on several years after the original, obviously, but the Smith family lived here when they first got to Nauvoo.

 The Mansion House. This house seriously was a mansion--it used to be like three times this size, but this building is all that's left of it. I'm not sure how much of it is original--at least the bannister and flooring inside, which is pretty cool. We got to see the rooms where Joseph and Emma slept, and there was even a beautiful big dresser inside that belonged to them. 

 Another shot of the Nauvoo House. I love the river right behind it!

 A barge along the river. Classic.

 Next stop on the tour was the Red Brick Store. This building has also been reconstructed, but it was still cool to think that this was the exact location--the exact room!--where the Relief Society was organized. So cool!
 The second floor room from the doorway.
 The main floor of the store. Our tour guide told us that it wasn't called the Red Brick store because the bricks are red, but because the inside of the store is red. And do you know what they used for paint? Ox blood and buttermilk. If that doesn't make you want to shop there, I don't know what will. Bleh. 
 They did have a lot of cool old-timey souvenirs though.
 From the outside:
 In between the Red Brick Store and the Smith's first house is the Smith family cemetery. There are a lot of people buried in that cemetery, including Joseph, Hyrum (whose bodies actually changed resting places quite a few times, to deter those who would want to find them), and Emma Smith. It was kind of unbelievable to think that they are actually buried there, right in front of us.

We took a lovely little break, sat on the benches in the cemetery, called a dear friend on speaker phone, and enjoyed the breeze coming in from the river. It was a perfect afternoon!

 To end off the night, we went to this performance by the senior couples at the Cultural Hall in historic Nauvoo. We got in there and saw a lot of people from the wedding party already sitting down, and the place was a little bit packed. We were trying to find a place with three seats all together, when to my surprise I heard someone say my name. Who was it but my home teacher and his wife from my home ward? What are the odds? Haha. So I saw by them for this 5-star performance. Seriously wonderfully put together and performed. I laughed, I cried, and I laughed some more. I just wonder how much these missionaries are getting paid to do this! Haha, just kidding. I did comment to Bro. Mautz, however, that they must all have pretty strong testimonies to be willing to go through all that. 
 The pictures really don't do it justice. It was seriously awesome. The couple sitting next to me came to the performance last night also and just had to come back again because it was so funny. I don't blame them!
 As I said: hysterical. You have to see it. 
 This guy reminded me exactly of my nephew Logan. This is him in 60 years, honest to goodness.

 After the show in front of the Cultural Hall.

Then we went here to get some pizza and donuts (well, they got donuts; I got a cup of buddy buddies--de-lish). This is the healthiest road trip ever. But then again, I guess road trips aren't known for being healthy, are they?
 Here's just a taste of the hilarity going on, on this trip:
Please [don't] be jealous. 

We love Nauvoo!! Excited to explore more of historic Nauvoo tomorrow!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Love the photos, love the landmarks, love the laughing, love your outfits, love the statue, love you! So glad you're having a blast. I'm just gonna throw this out there, but I can just picture you visiting Nauvoo again with your own little family of kidlets and handsome hubby. :) Maybe we can all go together! Can't wait to hear about D.C. Maybe I'll remember some of it.