Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Running on empty.

Sometimes I like to see how far below the line I can go (thanks for the inspiration, Kramer).
I learned this week that it's maybe not the best idea.

I'll be honest, these were my first thoughts:

LORELAI: Oh. Oh, wow.
RORY: What?
LORELAI: I... we're out of gas?
RORY: We're out of...gas.
[Lorelai tries to start the Jeep.]
RORY: Hmm.
LORELAI: I've never run out of gas before.
RORY: Me neither.
LORELAI: Well, here we are.
RORY: Out of gas.
LORELAI: Well, I guess I should ca-- I don't have my cell phone.
RORY: I left mine in my room. Okay. It’s okay. No, it’s fine. We'll just have to get gas somehow. We can do this.
LORELAI: There’s a gas station up ahead, where route 68 goes through Naugatuck.
RORY: Okay. So...we're walking?
LORELAI: Oh, we're walking.
[They both chuckle and exit the Jeep.]
LORELAI: Well, it’s a beautiful day.
RORY: Yes, it is.
LORELAI: It’s weird that it can be so beautiful.
RORY: Yeah. How far is Naugatuck from here?
LORELAI: I don't know exactly.
RORY: I guess it’s walking distance.
LORELAI: [Chuckles] I hope it’s walking distance.

Luckily, the nearest gas station was only about a ten minute walk, and then some guys had pity on me walking back with my little gas can and gave me a ride.

Then when that didn't work, they went into their secret maintenance-guys' building and got me some gas and filled up my tank with a bit more. They waited while I tried to start my car again and made sure it would stay running.
To top it off, one of them asked if I had money for gas, like he honest-to-goodness would've given me a twenty if I'd've said no.

How freaking nice.

So, I've made the decision to not let my tank go below half empty, I apologized to Madame Thompson for coming to class late, and a very special thanks goes out to Kenny and Frank.
You guys are great :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

For some reason this is one of my favorite posts. (Not due to the fact that you ran out of gas...) I'm glad it all worked out and so glad Lorelei and Rory kept you company. Here's to no more half-empty tanks!

Megan K Leavitt said...

You also referenced Seinfeld and Gilmore Girls in one post. Greatest ever.