Thursday, July 3, 2014

Merely me.

I watched Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella the other day. The Brandy version, of course. It may or may not have been while working, and on YouTube. Dare you to judge me.

I can never get enough of the song-and-dance, interracial goodness of that film, although I'm not quite sure how it compares to the Broadway version. Anyway. As much as I love every single song in that movie, one line in particular stuck out to me this time through: "a girl who's merely me." You know the song it comes from—the two stepsisters are getting out their frustration and negative emotions through song (what a great idea, right?), and, like, psychotic jealousy and violent tendencies aside, they make a valid point: "what's the matter with the men?!" Why can't a fellow ever once prefer a girl who's merely me? Just a usual girl.

The more I get to know people, the more I realize things about myself (that whole trying-to-not-compare-myself-to-others thing is obviously going really well), like the fact that, for as wonderful as I (and my mother) think I am, I'm really just an average girl. There really aren't a ton of things that I'm really good at, let alone great at. (Except maybe editing. Or kissing; I'm a great kisser.) And the more I think about that, the more I'm okay with it. I don't have to be great at anything to have a good sense of humor, an empathetic heart, or a fun personality. I don't have to be an expert at anything to still be a hard worker or a good friend.

So, yeah. I'm just a solid (though hopefully not in the hefty, solid-chocolate kind of way), usual girl. And that's enough. And someday there'll be a fellow who will prefer that. And that'll be good enough for me.

Me, on a rare bare-bones-makeup kind of day, lounging at the lake house of some dear friends.


BTdubs, a quick grammar goody on "who's" vs. "whose." YES, there is a difference. Learn it; love it; use it. Here we go:

Who's=contraction of "who is" or "who has" ex: "who's at the door?" "Who's seen that movie?"
Whose=adjective. generally talking about the possessor of an object. "Whose coat is this?" "Do you know whose this is?"

3 comments:

Lauren Flores said...

Mindy! I'm really really sad that we won't be having classes together in the fall! So happy you landed the church magazine job. So... Funny story, while I was on my mission, I would always check the inside of the ensign and look at the interns to see if I knew anyone & sure enough I saw you're name! It made me so happy and was kind of one of those, "oh yeah, life goes on!" Moments!

Lauren Flores said...

Did I really just use you're instead of your? How often does that happen? Curse iphone auto correct!

Charly said...

As a lifelong perfectionist who has been obsessed with being "the best," it definitely has its drawbacks. Because even when you do excel, someone will be better than you.

I don't think my neurotic perfectionism has really helped me all that much in the dating department either. >:-)

I can name things off the top of my head that you excel at:

♢ Speaking French. You were leaps and bounds above my rather rusty skills, ha!
♢ Hair and makeup. I don't think I've touched a curling iron since our graduation day. :P
♢ Picking cute bikes.

I think you just need to think outside the box! And blog more, I really like your posts.